Wednesday 22 September 2010

Rumours about Rumer

There aren't many moments in life when you hear music that moves you profoundly, but listening to Rumer on Later Live with Jools Holland last night resulted in that emotion. That spine tingling feeling where music resonates deeply within your soul, where you appreciate that someone, somewhere else is expressing a feeling or emotion that you have experienced. I don't mean to sound fluffy or romantic but I had one of those moments last night listening to Rumer. And apparently I'm not the only person to be emotionally hijacked, the gruff northerner John Prescott also had a fluffy moment. As a result of a tweet, The Guardian asked him to blog about Rumer. Here is part of his article from the Guardian website today:


know very little of Rumer. In fact it was only by chance that I came across her on Later ... with Jools Holland on BBC2 last night. She sang only one song but it moved me – right back to the 70s and the days of eight-track cartridges playing the likes of Karen Carpenter and Carole King.

She reminds me a lot of both singers, especially Karen. Like Billie Holiday, there was real sadness and longing in
her voice as she sang Slow – a song about a woman having to suppress her emotions for fear of putting off a man.
What's more remarkable is her backstory. Rumer is no overnight sensation or X Factor wannabe. 
She has grafted in part-time and dead-end jobs for more than 10 years to keep her dream alive. 
If Slow is anything to go by, that struggle was not in vain and she's finally going to get the success she thoroughly deserves.
Burt Bacharach and Elton John have already become firm fans. Well, you can add me to that list. And I think you'll be next.

Extract from Guardian Music Blog: 
Needless to say, I've downloaded the EP today, ordered the new album out end of November and bought tickets to the gig. It never fails to amaze me that when music is excellent in every way, it sells itself and this artist is no exception. I look forward to the whole album on its release and hearing more from the wonderful Rumer.

No comments: