Wednesday 3 November 2010

Week 4: Social Media for Musicians - TWITTER

So here I am at week 4 of the Music Success in 9 Weeks blogging challenge. This week we are looking at Twitter and some of the other social media channels. 
I have to say Twitter is indeed my favorite social media site - I love Twitter! I have attached my twitter feed to the right of this column.
Why do I love it? Because it takes less than 3 minutes a day to effectively use without your computer and it can be synced in to my FacebookMyspaceYoutube Linked In, Blog and many other social network channels. I love it because it works, it has generated work leads, great client relationships, fun friendships and PR for the artists that I work with.

On a personal level, I even saw a job advertised here for my son which he managed to secure. He now works on the London 2012 Olympics, one of 15 teenagers selected from the whole of the UK. Here he is with our Mayor, Boris Johnson on his first week of work - the power of Twitter!


Ariel Hyatt has written a more in depth Blog article about this that includes a list of some of the best people in the music industry to follow. This list is USA focused but have a look through my twitter followers to see some of the best movers and shakers in the UK in twitter world.

I very tentatively set up my twitter account 18 months ago but have so enjoyed the effectiveness it has brought to my work and clients that I want to encourage you to use it. I set up my @LoveLiveMusicUK Twitter account and added my pitch in the bio section which is now part of my company pitch:
Love Live Music helps musicians make money from Social Media. We create memorable music moments for corporate & private events & cast stunning musicians for Video,TV & Film
I have ensured that the colour schemes across my twitter, facebook, blog, youtube channel are the same and the same logo is uploaded to all the relevant sites. 
This gives continuity and helps build your brand across the web.
Initially you have to start following other people, this can feel a bit strange and sometimes feel sycophantic but it just takes a while to establish relationship with fellow tweeters.

I was explaining to a friend yesterday how to connect with twitter, choose a name and get yourself rolling. Here is a short simple video to get you started: Twitter in Plain English - he found it very useful. Like all things, it's simple when you know how but I am encouraging you to give it a go.

BASIC TWITTER TIPS - the how to's?
How to Respond to Several People at Once: All you have to do is put several people’s name at the beginning of the Tweet with the “@” before each of their names.

Replies Tab
: Your replies tab is on your home page. It is the right hand side and will be “@________”. In my case it would say @LoveLiveMusicUK
You can click here to find out who has replied to you or mentioned you in one of their tweets. It's always great to get a response from individuals

Direct Message
: If you want to send a more private message, send it through the Direct Message feature on the right hand column of your account page, A direct message is only visible to the recipient of the message (it is not posted publicly like a normal tweet/@reply).

Ariel has a more extensive blog article on the in's and outs of Twitter here. Very useful and comprehensive - she says it all here really!

I have my twitter linked to my mobile phone through an iphone app called "Tweetdec" so if I am on one of travels, I can still keep in contact and update. My twitter account is also connected to Twitpic. This is the photographic blog that connects into my twitter account and therefore all my other accounts.

I love Twitpic and as they say a picture says a thousand words. Words don't feel a very comfortable forum for me, despite these huge ramblings, I love pictures/video and the power that images have. Here you can see some of the Live Music events and gigs Love Live Music has been involved in delivering and being a part of:
I have just attached a widget too for Twitpic so you can see a summary of my latest pictures:

These pictures load automatically to all the social media channels.

I am just getting my head around Flikr too: 
I have just started to use Flikr for music video casting - you get instant images - great for casting directors and very easy to use: Flikr Photostream
Both these picture sites are hugely powerful as it is very easy for other users to tweet to their social media streams. In the UK we are stating to use Blipfoto as a blogging photo journal. 
Max Ellis's award winning BlipFoto Journal is the best in the business ! Max has great skill capturing that special moment at live music events, check out his blog, totally amazing! If you would like to set up a session with Max, please call us at the office or Skye us.
Love Live Music Office: +44(1923)284468 or Skype: LoveLiveMusicUK 

All of my twitter feeds go into my Facebook and Facebook page - come and check me out here:
FACEBOOK

So to Summarise: I love Twitter as lots of social barriers are removed and it feels like that everyone is open to communicating whatever their status. I am always so encouraged when individuals reply and I try and do the same back to create dialogue and relationship.
Tweeting can be a bit of a marathon... sometimes I get frustrated and feel like I am running along a path by myself and wonder if it's effective? but I think there is something to be said for just keeping on keeping on..... marathon's get finished eventually and it's great to be running with a great team of people. That's my experience.

I am amazed by the number of people that read my tweets and a later date will say "I liked that new band you showed me" or "thanks for helping me find a good band for my event" or "wow that gig was great!"

Sometimes it is just about taking your flag, sticking it the mound and saying I am here...
I ain't gonna move and I'd love you to come along with me and hear your story too.

I would love to hear your music, your story and I hope you enjoy mine,

Sally J Freeman


PS I found this book inspirational while thinking about connecting through all social media Web 2.0: Putting the Public back in Public Relations:

"Along the way, you'll learn how to stop being a "publicist" or mere "communicator" and become what your clients or company really need: a genuine enthusiast for whom and what you represent." Brian Solis and Deirdre Breakenridge















No comments: